Published on June 6th, 2012 | by Peter Svensson0
Ocean Racing World Championships 2013
Nelo Summer Challenge 2013 + International Canoe Federation = Ocean Race World Championship 2013 !
There are som rumors on the web but there are no official statement yet about the world championship. According to Mario Santos, member in the ICF, there will be an ocean raing event organized by the ICF together with the Nelo Summer Challenge next year with ICF World Championship status. It will be held in summer 2013 in Vila do Conde Porto, Portugal. An official bulletin is coming up very soon with more information. .
- No date is set but the Nelo Summer Challenge has been conducted in the end of august or early september the recent years. I do not think it’s a wild guess to assume that the race will be conducted during the same period next year.
- It’s a 25 km downwind race for single skis.
- Doubles have no official class 2013.
- Following classes
– Juniors 15-18 år
– U23 19-22
– Seniors 23+
– Masters in age groups 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60+.
- Total prize pool 20 000 €.
- Open window (waiting period) to optimize for the best downwind conditions.
- South Africa has already annonunced that they will send a team to the Ocean Racing World Championships 2013.
This is a golden opportunity to the National Canoe Federations in Europe to form national teams i Ocean Racing. A World Championship will proberbly increase the interest locally as well. In Sweden we have some downwind races, Seamasters and Aterra Wave Challenge, that could taking parts of a national series next year to increase the interest even more. In Norway there is also an increased interest. They have two downwind races, the ASKR and the Oslo Surfski Challenge, that could be the main races in a Norwegian series.
More information will proberbly be found shortly at: